Thursday 29 October 2015

"Back to office" pains

In a retail line, there is no such thing as weekends, public holidays and occasionally off and leave days. Why? Because the stores are open for the public to shop on all days.

That said, when I started as a retail staff, I have gotten used to and resigned to fate of not having any of such luxuries.

However, after I got transferred to the HQ, work days start to get more routine. In general, you will get weekends off BUT you will need to be on standby. Especially when you have a company phone. People from stores may call you anytime. Or even email you at odd hours expecting a reply.

That said, I have always disliked people contacting me for non-urgent stuff when I've clearly indicated an out of office email stating that I will be on leave and the date I shall return. Yet, there will be those who ignores those email and disturb your calm peace on leave.

But that has been improving lately. The locals especially have been "educating" the Japs by intentionally ignoring their non-urgent mails or calls. So its a work in progress. Improving but slowly.

What I hate about going on leave is what I have to deal with when I'm back. The 3-figure unread emails, and a ton of routine to complete. This is precisely why people feel like shit the night before they return to work. It's the last day  of sanity. The last day of peace. And all hell breaks loose after 8 hours of sleep (or less).

These days. I try to take leaves one day at a time, just extending my weekend by one day. Yet, I will still come back to office with a total of 250 emails unread. For a person that makes it a point to clear all unread emails each day, its a bloody eyesore. On the phone where the figures in the red dot keeps increasing. And on the laptop outlook where the bold subjects are scroll-endless and the blue figure beside the "Inbox" keeps updating and increasing. It pisses the hell out of me. Damn it! Even just an additional day off.

This year, I had to take more leave days because of my classes and exams. It's already draining to have to study and work together. But its even more so when you finally complete your papers, yet return to office to find that work has been piled up and you need to work later than usual to clear it.

Sorry. It's all rants this time. Really drained. Will write a more positive post soon ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment