Sunday 4 October 2015

After almost 24years, this is my first

First time taking Malaysia Airlines to the other side of Malaysia - East Malaysia. Yes, I'm here at Kota Kinabalu. No, I'm not here for a holiday. Sad but true. Workaholic much. Hahaha. For a very long time, I've not taken any flights longer than an hour since I'm mostly travelling between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur only.

Actually, after the many aircraft accidents last year, our company came up with a list of acceptable airlines based on the airline safety ratings, highest being 7. 
  • Anything above 4 is alright but of course, the lowest cost option should be chosen which mostly left us with Jetstar. Not that I'm complaining. Besides the small delay in flight departures, flights with Jetstar have been pleasant thus far. 
  • Anything rated 4 is up to supervisor's approval. Malaysia Airlines is rated 4. And Scoot too.  
  • Anything below 4 should be avoided unless there's absolutely no choice. In my case, from Singapore to Kota Kinabalu, the only direct flight - AirAsia - falls under this category.

From Singapore to Kota Kinabalu is approximately 2hours and 30mins flight time. But there's only one direct flight from Singapore to Kota Kinabalu each day and its offered by AirAsia around 2-3pm each day. How can I get such luxury working from the noon right? Hahaha. So, my boss actually helped me look for flights and basically decided the flight for me and told me to book it. Hence came my first first time, taking Malaysian Airlines. Like I said, the only direct flight from Singapore to Kota Kinabalu is AirAsia and because I took Malaysia Airlines, here comes my second first time - Transit in KL alone.

I usually fly direct and the only time I transited was on an exchange to Seattle where I had to stopover at Tokyo Narita. Besides that, I've got no experience of transits at all. Of course we're not talking about the trains we take daily! Hahaha. Anyhow, I'm not sure if all transit flights would "directly relay" your luggage from flight 1 to flight 2. I think this only happens if the stopover is short right? Oh well, if I'm wrong, correct me but I was pretty glad that I didn't need to find myself lost and I had extra time on my hands to do a little duty free shopping~

Before I go on, I just had to say this. If there's a direct flight, I would only need 2hr30mins right?
But because I had to arrive in KK at a specific time, I had to transit, and so I was up since 0330am. Yes, you didn't read wrong, I wrote AM. I had to catch an 0640am plane to KL for the transit. And the domestic flight from KL to KK is at 0905am. I will only arrive at KK at 1150 based on the itinerary. That's a total of 5hrs away from home. Twice the amount of time I would need if I was taking direct. So yes, I've been awake for almost 8hrs having just arrived in KK and haven't done anything yet (except a little shopping at KLIA) earlier.

Frankly I started this post on the plane and I couldn't get my PC to connect to the internet at the hotel and that's why you only see it now. Guess its too wordy and all so please allow me to end off with some pictures of KK.

No comments:

Post a Comment