Monday 21 July 2014

Brutal Youth

Link: Brutal Youth

I haven’t really been able to get to the bookstore and grab this book but the excerpt’s looking great!


So I wasn’t always a bookworm. Think it was till I was 18, that I started to develop a fondness for reading books. All that time - through childhood - my mum would have the toughest time trying to get me to sit down and read a book. But it all changes around the time I was 18, when trying to get me to put down a book was tough. #theirony


Food for thought.
The reason why I decided to share this book was because I feel that society is changing and do we really know what our kids might be going through in school? Are they also victims of such bullies?


Maybe it’s my era, but when I was still in school, we never heard of such cases before. Or maybe it’s Singapore culture back then.


Then again, now that society is changing - for better or worse - do you think one day, it might happen to your kids at school?  See. I think the mentality of people changes over time, over experience and so does kids’. Because we will bring them up differently based on our past experiences - good or bad. It could also be the influence of “open-mindedness”. Like now, I see primary school students holding hands on the streets, secondary school student making out on trains. Has this “open-mindedness” allowed them to play more and prank harder? If one day, our schools will be ‘populated’ with such bullies? Will it be safe for our not-so-attractive kids to go to school? Will they be teased and tricked based on what they wear and what they bring?


Well, let’s hope it will never come to that.


- Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment