Saturday 2 August 2014

Many may seek but not all shall find...

Does the title sound familar to you? If yes, you may have heard of this secret cafe in Singapore - Whale & Cloud.


After hearing about this ‘famous’ secret cafe - tucked away in the streets of Niven Road - I’ve been wanting to check them out. And finally, late last night while chatting with my friend, we finally decided to visit this morning.  




Personally, this does not feel much like a cafe except for the aroma of roasted beans. When we stepped in, it was more like entering a house of a friend, a host. It was a fairly small space much like the size of a regular bedroom but I felt the space was very well utilized.


The owner - I assume - spoke to us and very simply asked, “black or white?” Basically, they only serve coffee drinks and I went ahead with a flat white. Coffee’s pretty good and from what I heard, these beans were brought back from the owner’s travels all around. 


Reason why I said the concept was more like a hosted party was because of the center table of cakes and pastries. They looked really good and the ‘menu’ changes weekly. We tried the Banana Walnut and the Carrot Cake loaf and it was good! Exactly because of its small space, it felt very private like everyone knew one another and the owner was very friendly. Chatting with the various ‘groups’ and talking about his travels. 


Price-wise. We didn’t know what to do because there was no menu and no price tags. Of all the ‘research’ that I have done online, everyone was saying different things. I’m serious, you should google it and see for yourself. What we ended up doing was ‘tipping’ a reasonable amount for the loafs and coffee right before we left. I believe it is up to you but like I said, it should be reasonable


We left pretty soon as there were more ‘seekers’ knocking on the door and we didn’t wanna hog up the space. Oh, and did I mention that the owner will lock up the door once the cafe is full. Not to worry if you’re there and the cafe is full, they have this bench outside that tells you they’re open and you can take a seat to wait. So, fret not - it’s not a wasted trip yet.




Overall, I thought it was a good experience. The pastries were good and the coffee too. Of course, the company made everything better but if you’re around the area, try your luck and find this place. If you were to arrive by the front, you will see this office space called LIFEOPP and right beside it is this green polka dotty unit that is filled with kids apparel and accessories. When you take a closer look at the LIFEOPP door, you will see a little notice.




So, all you have to do is follow the instructions until you see the bright blue door. And if it says OPEN, you’re in luck. From what I gather, they only open on Saturdays from 0900-1600hrs, but I’m not too sure about the other days. Alternatively, you can and probably should follow their instagram (@whalencloud) for updates. As far as I know, whenever they’re open, they will upload a photo or two on Instagram so this could be your best bet. 


Good luck and have fun seeking!


- Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment