Tuesday 23 September 2014

How to keep your motivation going when someone intentionally slams you down?

So I had a rough day at work. Who hasn’t had a rough day before right? 


Today at work, I failed to check a liner printed on the meeting materials before the meeting. So technically, during the meeting, we each took a minute to correct it. 


So after the meeting, my superior - the assistant team leader that has never acted like one before - called me into another room with my other colleague. And he started his ‘lecture’. 



ATL: Why wasn’t the materials checked before the meeting? We received it in advance right?
Me: Yes, I failed to check it. 
ATL: So why didn’t you check it?
Me: Because I shared this information yesterday to the respective persons and I assumed it will be right. “Assuming” is my fault.
ATL: Do you know how much cost you wasted? Each person (about 20pax in the meeting) wasted 1 minute of their cost, thats 20minutes of COST in total. Can you take more responsibility in your work?
Me: Yes, I will. 



I told myself to shut up and just say yes. I know this is very backbone-less but thinking like an adult, I didn’t wanna tarnish the work relationship. So, I just nodded and agree - since it is indeed my fault anyway.


I know this might sound ridiculously silly but… there is a kid in everyone so please let me put this out there. Hahaha. I was holding these comments really hard when he rebutted. You see, ATL actually goes for a smoke break every 2-3 hours for approximately 10-15mins. So technically, he wastes away at least 30mins of his work time daily for his own personal pleasure. Now, what about this cost? His salary is far more than mine and this is on a regular basis. So, can he justify this cost? Is this cost worthwhile? I know you must be thinking, one’s work and one’s personal and I shouldn’t be comparing but seriously, since he is taking work time for smoke - besides the 1hour breaks we get daily - this should at least support his work right? Besides the fact that he comes back into office smelling strong of the smoke cologne, I don’t even think there is any improvement in his work efficiency because day in day out, he comes in earlier and ends work later than me. Even if he has more tasks to complete - which I don’t think he has - he should still complete them by the time I end work. So does the smoke break help improve efficeency? No… Then how should we justify this cost? Hmm…


Anyway, takeaway for today - back to the subject title. I think it is important to believe in yourself and admit your mistakes. When you do that, you see the truth in what you’re doing and it will help you stay in balance. True enough, you might not be motivated if someone intentionally nitpicks but it is through these people that you grow into a better person. I’ve learnt my lesson today - hard and cold - and as much as it irritates me to admit, I will be a better person because of this. To prove my own worth and to shut him up for good. This should be the positive motivation that keeps you going!


-Elizabeth.
#eliz_betht

No comments:

Post a Comment