Sunday 13 December 2015

2 cycles, 24 years.

If you're wondering what I meant by 2 cycles, 24 years, I am talking about the Chinese Zodiac Cycles. You know how the zodiac repeats itself every 12 years since there are 12 animals? Since I was born in the year of the ram, this year marks the second ram year since my birth, which basically translates to me being 24 this year.

I swear, whoever came up with “time flies” is damn smart. Or rather, it should have been teleport, but since teleportation is not an exact nor actual form of transportation yet, I guess we just have to settle with flying. Hahaha. Seriously, it seems like just yesterday that I celebrated my 21st – with that crazy pool party that you-know-I –know. Hahaha. And 3 years just swoosh by.
My AWESOME 21st Birthday Cake that cost a BOMB...
Not worth it. Even it was awesomely good. Hahaha.
I seem to be saying this every year but ever since I celebrated my 21st, I wanted my birthdays to be more meaningful. The older I am, the more I feel it’s time to contribute to the society. This year, the initial plan was to volunteer at a home, but I didn't have time to plan for it so, I decided (with my mum) to do a small get together at my place, after the renos were done, we haven’t had our friends over yet. And to thank them for their “support” during the reno period, we decided on an ever-tempting CRAB PARTY. So yes, this dinner was also on my Birthday since it was the first Saturday after my cursed exams and that my mum – the main chef – had to work on all remaining Saturdays in December.
Credits to Grace
Anyhow, the day started with collecting my “National Steps Challenge” Tracker from HPB. If you do not know what it is, please do read up from the link above. You can earn points and redeem vouchers just by accumulating your steps daily. I read that this activity or registration will end on 31 Dec but they also mentioned a season 2 coming up. Read through if you would like...

Anyhow, back to the CRAB PARTY. This idea generated from my continuous crab posts from few weeks or months back that was ever so tempting to my colleagues. 
And most of us love seafood – although we hate the hassle, the love overpowers all messiness. Hahaha. And yes, they did try to surprise me with a cake. Keyword, TRY! Hahaha. Initially, I had no intention of celebrating my birthday. It was just a gathering so I even rejected my mum when she said she wanted to get a cake. Then on 11th Dec, a few things happened that prompted suspicion.

My mum texted me that she wasn’t feeling well, which she really wasn’t since she was starting to burn up… I saw her text right after my paper and was worried I will have to call off the entire gathering. She told me to not worry and just get her Panadol. Getting her Panadol is nothing as simple as JUST. Most people that know me know I don’t take Panadol. Haven’t been taking them for years and all of a sudden, when your mum says to get it, of course you do! Since it was rather late – almost 10pm, I went to 7-11 to get it. The Panadols at 7-11 were kept behind the cash register. So I had to request for it and when I did, the lady asked me which one I wanted. So logically, I said the most basic one for fever. She replied, “They are all for fever, cold and pain.” I was like, WTH. What am I supposed to do? Panic of the year, maybe. Hahaha. Since all of them were behind the counter, I asked her to let me see the boxes and read for myself. She seems rather irritated at that point in time. Her tone of voice was hinting me like, How can you not know about Panadol and which one you wanted?

In any case, when I was staring at the boxes, she was right – of course she was – that all of them had Paracetamol which helps to bring down fever. That little bit of pharmaceuticals, I know. Hahaha. So, the only lifeline I had was my dad who was in the car waiting. I called and asked what was best, and he said the very normal and regular one. And guess what, that also had 2 types!!! Oh god, I couldn't decide. Even the lady was pissed. In the end, I chose the capsulated regular Panadol because it was printed on the box that it is gentler on the stomach. And yes, even for something that cost 5bucks or less, the lady was damn pissed and I wasted more than 15mins there. Hahaha. Joke and Panic of the year, seriously.

Once I got home, I checked in with my mum and wanted to take the meds to her. But I just got her water and the entire strip of Panadol. She looked at me, puzzled, and said, “你给我一整片做么?” So I explained that I was worried it will cause a reaction if I touched it. Allergy symptoms were scary and painful. I hate them so much that I always make sure to pay extra attention to what I do to avoid the, She nodded and ‘extracted’ the pill herself and looking at her condition, I texted the group that “Ladies, I might have to cancel tomorrow. 主厨生病了。

Then almost everyone came back with, WHY. Don't. DC even said that she will cook, etc. Hahaha. It was already suspicious, the way they were so adamant about not postponing or cancelling. Hahaha. So I said I will judge the next morning…
And, when the clock struck 12 (i.e. 12th Dec), a colleague of mine (W) wished me HBD from Japan and sort of got scolded by DC via our group chat. This made me even more suspicious. Hahaha. I didn't want them to think that this invitation was for my birthday – which it wasn't – so I didn't say anything about it. Apparently, my awesome colleagues remembered and they were attempting to surprise me. If not for this open “lecture”, I would not have known they were doing something. That is of course, not including them trying to hide the cake from me when we met at NEX and also, exposing the cake while I am trying to fit the drinks into the fridge. My mum was also saying, “you friend (DT) very funny. Ask me if she can put the drinks inside the fridge but that is paper bag. 这么明显。不跟我说实话就算了,还很可爱的想把蛋糕盒子和纸带一起放进冰箱。

Leaving you with the awesome cake and us, Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment